Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Worcestershire Sauce

I have this favourite stroganoff recipe I perfected back in my omnivore days. Having since learned that regular Worcestershire sauce has anchovy paste in it, I tried making my very own vegan version. Having a look at the ingredient list on the back of the bottle, I came close with this number:

INGREDIENTS

- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon black molasses
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper

INSTRUCTIONS

Place all ingredients in a medium saucepan and stir thoroughly. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Simmer 1 minute. Cool. Store in the refrigerator. Makes less than a cup.

I tried to find tamarind paste to complete the ingredient list, but I couldn't find in my grocery stores. However, on my recent trip to Nature's Emporium, I found Organic Vegan Worcestershire sauce from The Wizard's and it tastes great.

Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment